Wednesday, December 16, 2009

GAY MARRIAGE?! Stand up Comedy by Lizzy the Lezzy

I thought it was time to make a video about gay (same sex) marriage. Gays and lesbians can get married in Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Spain and Sweden, where the law concerning marriage was just amended to include gay people as well as straight. In England you can get a "civil partnership", which basically gives you the same legal rights as a marriage, but if you're straight, you can't get a civil partnership. Marriage is inextricably linked to religion, and we all know what religious people think of gays. What happened to "love thy neighbor"? What happened to "treat others as you would unto yourself"? Why is homosexuality so hard for some people to swallow? hehe.



Times are  changing, in some places, and hopefully the rest of the world will follow. Maybe we can't expect these changes to take place overnight, but look at where we are now compared to 20 years ago, when I was still struggling with my own sexuality. Today I am grateful for what gays and lesbians have achieved in my lifetime -- for Ellen, for the L Word, for all the lesbian story-lines on popular mainstream TV shows, like Weeds, Nip Tuck, and Grey's Anatomy, for films like Harvey Milk and Brokeback Mountain, for Adam Lambert, for George Michael - I still LOVE George Michael! And I love @stephenfry and his wife @MrsStephenFry. I'm glad I've witnessed this progress in my lifetime. Maybe in the next 20 years America will have an openly gay or lesbian President!